Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wimbledon

So I started my off right two weeks ago by buying tickets to Wimbledon!! This is something I have always wanted to do, so at first I was going to go early and line up for the queue. Every morning at 10 am they sell 500 tickets for centre court and courts 1 & 2 as well as a couple thousand ground tickets. People actually camp overnight many time in order to get tickets. However, they also sell tickets for the next days play on court 3 on ticket master at 9 am the morning before. So Tuesday morning, I got and hit refresh on my computer like a mad women and ended up with two tickets to Wimbledon! My friend from school, Maria, came with me on Wednesday. We got there around 10:30 and wandered around a bit before heading to Court 3 to see our first game, Jeremy Chardy vs. Juan Monaco. One of the coolest things about our seats, at the Northwest end of court 3, was we had a direct to the players entrance to Wimbledon. We did a ton of creeping. Anywho, Juan Monaco won, so we went and got lunch (pizza) and watched a game from the hill (For those of you unfamiliar with Wimbledon, there is a big screen TV set up and people sit on a hill at the north end of the park to watch the games occurring on centre court).

The View of Wimbledon from the hill, with Centre
 Court straight ahead
However, in typical England fashion, it started drizzling and play was suspended. I seriously wonder how they are ever able to finish all the Wimbledon games on time because it is ALWAYS raining here.
Radwanska Serving
During out break, we explored a bit more and ended up at the ball resale stand. At Wimbledon, they change the balls every 6 sets, so needless to say they go through a LOT of balls. So they resell all the used balls to the public for £3 per can. I like to think the balls I bought were used by someone like Federer or Novak Djokovic.


Anyways, eventually the rain delay was called off (after 2.5 hours) and play resumed on Court 3 with Agnieszka Radwanska vs. Elena Vesnina. As many of you may or may not know, Radwanska went to the Wimbledon final! Pretty cool I got to see her play in round 2. By this time, it was 7 pm and Maria and I were tired, so we went to get dinner when I noticed the large amount of people leaving centre court during the Novak Djokovic vs. Ryan Harrison (USA) game. Needless to say I was DYING to see that game and to be on centre court. Ends up that after 5 pm, Wimbledon sells back the tickets of people who left centre court. So we hopped on over to the booth, paid £10 and got to see the majority of the game!! It was sooo exciting and definitely one of the highlights of my time in England! We ended up staying until 10 pm- a whole 12 hours at Wimbledon! Pretty cool!


Djokovic vs Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment